"He's back on the grass. He's running. He's doing well," coach Anthony Lynn said this week, via ESPN's Eric Williams.
It's positive news for the receiver, who injured his back on the first day of rookie minicamp in May. The Chargers are holding out hope Williams might make a brief appearance later this preseason, but the rookie remains a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, which would cause him to miss the first six games.
"We just want him to keep progressing and not have any setbacks," Lynn said. "And we'll see what happens."
At this point, any setback could put Williams' entire rookie season in jeopardy.
Here is the other injury news we are tracking on Wednesday:
- The 49ers were without cornerback Dontae Johnson and linebacker Donavin Newsom at practice after both players suffered concussions. Newsom was taken off the field by paramedics on Tuesday and is expected to be released from the hospital on Wednesday, per the team. Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, guard Joshua Garnett is facing a six-week recovery after undergoing a scope of his knee, according to a source informed. Garnett is likely to miss multiple games.
Panthers wide receiver Brenton Bersin (left quad contusion) and defensive tackle Vernon Butler (left knee) exited Wednesday's preseason game and did not return after sustaining injuries. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Butler is believed to have suffered just a sprain, per a source. The D-lineman will have an MRI on Thursday.
- Giants coach Ben McAdoo told reporters that wideout Sterling Shepard (ankle) "looked good moving around out there today. He didn't seem to be limited, but we'll take it slow."
- Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter said cornerback Brent Grimes left practice early after he suffered "a laceration. I think he got a spike. It was kind of a nasty-looking laceration on his shin. I think he'll be fine."
- Patriots running back Mike Gillislee is battling a hamstring ailment and has stayed on the conditioning field for the past few days, per the Boston Herald's Jeff Howe.
- The Cowboys held tackle Tyron Smith out of practice Wednesday with back stiffness. Coach Jason Garrett told reporters he is unsure if Smith will practice Thursday and that the team is being careful with the injury.