The Houston Texans cut wide receiver Anthony Miller on Wednesday, stripping an already thin receiving corps even thinner.
Miller was just two games into his first season with the team after injuring his shoulder in the preseason, but his production had been marginal. He caught four passes for 20 yards against the Carolina Panthers in Week 3. He managed just one catch for three yards among five targets against Buffalo last week, on the wrong end of a rough day for rookie quarterback Davis Mills. Miller came to the Texans in a trade from the Chicago Bears in July as part of a draft pick exchange of fifth- and seventh-round selections.
With a dire quarterback situation already limiting the offense, the Texans have gotten very little production from their receiving corps beyond Brandin Cooks, who has notched two 100-yard games through four weeks.
A fourth-year pro from Memphis, Miller was a second-round draft pick in 2018.
- Washington Football Team placed tight end Logan Thomas (hamstring) on injured reserve. He will miss at least four weeks, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Wide receiver Dyami Brown (knee), running back Antonio Gibson (shin), linebacker Cole Holcomb (shoulder), guard Brandon Scherff (knee), wide receiver Cam Sims (hamstring), and wide receiver Curtis Samuel (groin) did not practice Wednesday.
- Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey was officially limited in his return to practice Wednesday. He's missed roughly the last two weeks with a hamstring injury. Coach Matt Rhule said CMC could be a game-time decision on Sunday against the Eagles. Linebacker Shaq Thompson is likely out two weeks after suffering a plantar fascia strain in his foot.
- The Denver Broncos have hope that wide receiver Jerry Jeudy, following a good week of progress from his high-ankle sprain, will potentially return in Week 7, NFL Network's James Palmer reported.
- The Detroit Lions placed center Frank Ragnow on injured reserve and activated kicker Austin Seibert from reserve/COVID-19. Coach Dan Campbell said rookie offensive tackle Penei Sewell is dealing with an ankle injury. Sewell did not practice Wednesday, and neither did tight end T.J. Hockenson (knee).
- Las Vegas Raiders running back Peyton Barber was diagnosed with mild turf toe and is likely to miss a few weeks, Rapoport reported. Barber did not suffer a fracture and is still seeking opinions as he undergoes further testing, Rapoport added. Cornerback Damon Arnette (groin), tight end Derek Carrier (pectoral) and cornerback Trayvon Mullen (toe) did not practice Wednesday, while safety Johnathan Abram (shoulder), running back Josh Jacobs (ankle) and offensive tackle Kolton Miller (knee) were limited. Defensive back Keisean Nixon was designated to return from IR.
- Seattle Seahawks running back Chris Carson (neck) and linebacker Benson Mayowa (neck) are questionable for Thursday's game against the Rams, while wide receiver D'Wayne Eskridge (concussion) is out. Seattle head coach Pete Carroll went into more detail Wednesday regarding Carson's neck injury. "He has had kind of a long-term, I guess it would be kind of a condition, that he's dealt with," Carroll said, via Gregg Bell of The News Tribune. "And sometimes it flares up, and sometimes it doesn't."
- The Cincinnati Bengals designated safety Ricardo Allen (hand) to return from injured reserve. Wide receiver Tee Higgins (shoulder) was limited in practice Wednesday. Running back Joe Mixon (ankle) was out.
- Denver Broncos quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is progressing through the concussion protocol and feeling better but is not expected to practice Wednesday, per Rapoport. Cornerback Ronald Darby has been designated to return from IR.
- The Miami Dolphins placed wide receiver Will Fuller, who has a broken finger, on IR. Cornerback Byron Murphy (quad, Achilles) did not practice Wednesday, while wide receiver DeVante Parker (shoulder) was limited. Defensive tackle Raekwon Davis was designated to return from IR.
- Philadelphia Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said offensive tackle Lane Johnson is not with the team and still dealing with his personal matter. Center Jason Kelce (foot/rest) did not practice, while tackle Jordan Mailata was limited.
- The New York Jets designated linebacker Blake Cashman to return from IR. Safety Marcus Maye (ankle) did not practice Wednesday and wide receiver Elijah Moore (concussion) was limited.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said he does not expect cornerbacks Carlton Davis (quad) or Sean Murphy-Bunting (elbow) to return "anytime soon." Safety Antoine Winfield (concussion) did not practice.
- Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook said he plans to continue playing through his lingering ankle injury. "I don't feel like I'm getting worse or heading in the wrong direction," he told reporters. He did not practice Wednesday, nor did defensive tackle Michael Pierce (elbow). Linebacker Anthony Barr (knee) was a full participant, and coach Mike Zimmer said he expects the former Pro Bowler to make his 2021 debut this weekend.
- The Tennessee Titans designated running back Darrynton Evans to return from IR. Wide receiver Julio Jones (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday, while A.J. Brown (hamstring) was limited.
- The Dallas Cowboys activated linebacker Keanu Neal and defensive lineman Bradlee Anae from the reserve/COVID-19 list. Wide receiver Amari Cooper (hamstring) and running back Ezekiel Elliott (knee) did not practice.
- New York Giants safety Jabrill Peppers (hamstring), wide receiver Sterling Shepard (hamstring), wide receiver Darius Slayton (hamstring), tight end Kaden Smith (knee), left tackle Andrew Thomas (foot) and defensive lineman Leonard Williams (knee) did not participate in the team's walkthrough Wednesday.
- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (pectoral/hip), cornerback Cam Sutton (groin) and offensive lineman Kevin Dotson (hip) did not practice. Wide receivers Chase Claypool (hamstring) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (ribs), offensive lineman Trai Turner (illness) and defensive tackle Cameron Heyward (neck) were limited. Running back Anthony McFarland was designated to return from IR.
- New Orleans Saints center Erik McCoy (calf) and offensive tackle Terron Armstead did not practice Wednesday, but cornerback Marshon Lattimore (hand) was a full-go. Running back Tony Jones was placed on IR.
- San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle (calf), offensive tackle Trent Williams (shoulder), defensive end Samson Ebukam (hamstring), cornerback K'Waun Williams (calf) will also miss Wednesday's practice. Defensive lineman Javon Kinlaw (knee), running back Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) and cornerback Josh Norman (chest) were limited.
- The Houston Texans activated linebacker Zach Cunningham from the reserve/COVID-19 list and designated linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis to return from IR. Wide receiver Danny Amendola (thigh) was limited in practice Wednesday.
- New England Patriots offensive tackle Trent Brown (calf), guard Shaq Mason (abdomen) and linebacker Kyle Van Noy (groin) did not practice. Defensive lineman Henry Anderson (pectoral) was placed on IR.
- The Las Vegas Raiders designated cornerback Keisean Nixon to return from IR.
- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (groin) and linebacker Khalil Mack (ribs/foot) did not practice Wednesday, while wide receiver Darnell Mooney (groin) was limited. Quarterback Andy Dalton returned as a full participant.
- Los Angeles Rams running back Darrell Henderson (ribs), tight end Tyler Higbee (ankle), safety Taylor Rapp (ankle) and tight end Johnny Mundt (shoulder) were all full-go at Wednesday's practice.
- Green Bay Packers Jaire Alexander (shoulder), guard Elgton Jenkins (ankle) and offensive lineman Josh Myers (finger) did not practice Wednesday. Cornerback Kevin King (concussion) was limited.
- Cleveland Browns defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (elbow), center JC Tretter (knee/back), cornerback Denzel Ward (neck) and offensive tackle Jedrick Wills (ankle) did not practice. Linebacker Anthony Walker was designated to return from injured reserve
- Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Russell Gage (ankle) did not practice.
- Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Chris Jones (wrist) did not practice.
- The Arizona Cardinals placed tight end Darrell Daniels on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Running back Chase Edmonds (shoulder) and cornerback Byron Murphy (ribs) did not practice Wednesday.
- Los Angeles Chargers defensive back Derwin James (toe/shoulder) was listed as limited in the team's practice estimation.
- The New Orleans Saints confirmed they have agreed to terms with kicker Cody Parkey, signed defensive end Jalyn Holmes to the active roster off the practice squad and running back Devine Ozigbo from the Jaguars' practice squad and they signed defensive end Bryce Thompson to the practice squad.
- The Green Bay Packers are finalizing a deal with linebacker Jaylon Smith, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported. Smith was officially released by the Cowboys on Wednesday. The Packers also signed defensive back Rasul Douglas from the Cardinals' practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions signed linebacker Jessie Lemonier to the active roster from the practice squad and center Ryan McCollum from the Texans' practice squad and signed linebacker Rashod Berry and guard Parker Ehinger to the practice squad.
- The Arizona Cardinals signed running back Tavien Feaster, cornerback Greg Mabin and offensive lineman Koda Martin to the practice squad.
- The New York Jets signed defensive back Natrell Jamerson to the practice squad.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars signed running back Wendell Smallwood to the practice squad.
- The Washington Football Team signed tight end Jace Sternberger to its 53-man roster.
- The Green Bay Packers are signing cornerback Rasul Douglas off the Cardinals' practice squad.
- The Houston Texans signed wide receiver Davion Davis to the active roster and wide receiver Damon Hazelton to the practice squad.
- The Las Vegas Raiders signed cornerback Brandon Facyson.
- The New England Patriots announced the signing of linebacker Jamie Collins and signed defensive back Elijah Benton to the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions released wide receiver Javon McKinley from the practice squad.