The Philadelphia Eagles' offense struggled in Thursday night's season-opening win. That will happen when two of your best players are standing on the sideline.
The receiver admitted to Jenny Vrentas of The MMQB that he is still a few weeks from returning after offseason rotator cuff surgery.
Jeffery told Vrentas he has a couple more doctor visits scheduled before he returns.
"Some days I feel great, and some days ... a shoulder injury is pretty tough," he said.
Jeffery played catch with Wentz before the game, but neither appears poised to make his return next week.
The receiver's absence was notable in Thursday's win. Nelson Agholor led all Eagles wideouts with an inefficient eight catches for 33 yards, 4.125 yards per catch. Only in a PPR fantasy league does that stat line look OK. The only other wide receiver to catch a pass was DeAndre Carter (1 of 10). Offseason addition Mike Wallace caught none of his three targets, including an underthrown deep ball by Nick Foles in which the wideout had a step on the DB.
The Eagles need Jeffery to return to shift Agholor back to his more natural position in the slot. Agholor played 56 percent (35 snaps) from the slot Thursday night, after earning 83 percent of his playing time there during the 2017 season. Jeffery earned just 57 receptions for 789 yards last season, but his ability to force converge his way helps open up the Philly offense.
Sadly, for the Eagles' offense, it appears Jeffery won't return to the flock for at least a couple more weeks.
Here are other injuries we're tracking around the league on this Week 1 Friday:
- The Dallas Cowboys placed recently acquired guard Parker Ehinger (knee) on injured reserve. They signed Kadeem Edwards to take his place on the roster. Cowboys corner Chidobe Awuzie (back) and safety Kavon Frazier (shoulder) are listed as questionable against the Panthers. Center Travis Frederick (illness), defensive end Datone Jones (knee) and safety Xavier Woods (hamstring) are out.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars have zero players on their injury report heading into Week 1, per team PR. Jags cornerback Jalen Ramsey (ankle), offensive linemen Brandon Linder (knee) and Jermey Parnell (knee), and tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (core muscle injury) were all full participants in Friday's practice.
- New York Giants linebackers Olivier Vernon (ankle) and Tae Davis (hamstring) have been ruled out for season opener against the Jags.
- New York Jets wide receiver Jermaine Kearse (abdomen) and linebackers Jeremiah Attaochu (calf) and Avery Williamson (hamstring) were limited participants in practice Friday. Safety Marcus Maye (foot) and linebacker Josh Martin (concussion) did not practice. Martin will not play against Detroit on Monday, and Maye and Kearse were listed as doubtful on the Saturday injury report.
- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon (hamstring) was a full participant in practice Friday and was subsequently removed from the injury report. Linebacker James Burgess (concussion) is listed as doubtful for Sunday. Defensive back E.J. Gaines (knee) has been ruled out after being limited in practice Thursday and Friday.
- Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Vance McDonald (foot) did not practice Thursday or Friday and has been ruled out for Week 1.
- Indianapolis Colts offensive lineman Denzelle Good (knee/wrist) did not practice this week and has been ruled out. Running back Marlon Mack (hamstring) and tackle Anthony Castonzo (hamstring) are both listed as questionable.
- Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch (groin), offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele (back), and defensive tackle Brian Price (hamstring) were all limited in practice again Friday. Running back DeAndre Washington (knee) did not practice. Cornerback Nick Nelson (hamstring) and linebacker Tahir Whitehead (ankle) were full participants.
Cornerback Dontae Johnson was listed as questionable, but NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that Seattle is placing the corner on injured reserve with a groin strain.
- New England Patriots running back Sony Michel (knee), tackle Marcus Cannon (calf) and defensive back Nate Ebner (knee) were all listed as questionable on the injury report.
- Minnesota Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes (hamstring) is listed as questionable for Sunday's game versus the 49ers after being a full participant in Friday's practice. Cornerback Mackensie Alexander (ankle) is doubtful. Offensive tackle Aviante Collins (elbow), center Pat Elflein (ankle/shoulder) and running back Roc Thomas (ankle) are out.
- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Malcolm Smith (hamstring) is doubtful after being limited in practice all week. San Francisco also placed linebacker Dekoda Watson on injured reserve after suffering a hamstring injury during Friday's practice.
- Buccaneers defensive tackle Vita Vea (calf) has been ruled out. Cornerbacks Brent Grimes (groin) and De'Vante Harris (hamstring) are doubtful. Offensive tackle Donovan Smith (knee) is questionable.
- Titans offensive tackle Jack Conklin (knee), linebacker Rashaan Evans (hamstring) and linebacker Harold Landry (ankle) have been ruled out.