Josh McDaniels and the Las Vegas Raiders are adding another arm to back up Derek Carr.
Las Vegas agreed to terms Friday with backup quarterback Nick Mullens, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.
Mullens, most recently of the Cleveland Browns, figures to compete for the No. 2 role behind Carr with Garrett Gilbert, who signed in Las Vegas earlier this offseason. Mullens previously spent time with the San Francisco 49ers, starting 16 games combined in 2018 and 2020 and backing up Jimmy Garoppolo in between.
Both Mullens and Gilbert were called upon to start on short notice last season. Mullens filled in for Browns signal-caller Baker Mayfield due to COVID-19 protocol ahead of a critical Monday afternoon tilt in Week 15 against the Raiders; the QB went 20-of-30 for 147 yards and a touchdown in the narrow defeat. The next day, Gilbert started under similar circumstances in place of Washington quarterback Taylor Heinicke against the Philadelphia Eagles, going 20-of-31 for 194 yards in a loss.
Having flashed the ability to start in a pinch, Mullens and Gilbert will now back up a quarterback in Carr who has not missed a start in four seasons.
- The Buffalo Bills waived running back Christian Wade, per the league transaction wire.
- The Chicago Bears' signing of defensive back Dane Cruikshank became official via the league transaction wire.
- The Houston Texans are signing running back Marlon Mack, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Friday.
- The Miami Dolphins agreed to terms with cornerback Xavien Howard on an extension for a new five-year contract, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Pelissero and Cameron Wolfe reported Friday.
- The Minnesota Vikings announced on Friday that they have agreed to terms with guard Chris Reed. This will be Reed's fourth team in as many seasons, having spent time with the Dolphins, Panthers, and most recently the Colts. The team's signing of cornerback Patrick Peterson became official, via the league wire.
- The New Orleans Saints officially signed offensive lineman Forrest Lamp, per the transaction wire.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed to terms with running back Giovani Bernard on a one-year deal, per Pelissero. Bernard spent the 2021 season in Tampa Bay after eight seasons in Cincinnati.
- The Cleveland Browns are in active talks on an extension with tight end David Njoku, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Njoku received the franchise tag earlier this offseason.