Searching for a new contract, Pro Bowl cornerback Xavien Howard is now searching for a new team.
The disgruntled defensive back released a statement on social media Tuesday saying he has requested to be traded from the Miami Dolphins.
Howard arrived to Dolphins training camp on Tuesday, but obviously has eyes on a departure. Nonetheless, he stated he'll remain at camp so he does not sustain fines, which wasn't the case earlier in the offseason.
On Wednesday, coach Brian Flores said he was confident Miami's relationship with Howard could be mended.
"There's a way," Flores said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. "I think we just continue to have discussions with him, his representation, and keep the lines of communication open, continue having dialogue and, hopefully, work something out. At the same time, we've got 90, 89 other guys that we'll be working with, to include X. Try to build this team and improve on a day-to-day basis, build team chemistry. That's where most of our focus is. The X thing is something we're having discussions about, as well."
Howard was absent for the team's three-day minicamp in June, skipping the mandatory offseason workouts and incurring $93,000 in fines due to his displeasure with his current contract.
Howard inked a five-year, $75.25 million extension in 2019 (not 2018 as Howard wrote in his statement), but in 2020, Howard put forth a sensational season and it also came after the team signed cornerback Byron Jones to a bigger deal, a fact noted in Howard's statement.
Howard led the NFL with 10 interceptions and was an All-Pro last season.
He's made it clear he wants a new deal and with the Dolphins apparently standing pat, Howard's looking for a new deal with a new team.