NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported on Friday that the Eagles gave Johnson a one-year, $33.445 million extension with $30 million guaranteed, per a source informed of the deal.
The extension, which the team later confirmed, keeps Johnson under contract through 2026.
"My whole goal is to retire an Eagle," Johnson told the team's website. "That's what I'm going to do. I'm just excited to be here, be as fortunate as I am to be with one team for as long as I have. I love this game and, more importantly, I love the people and the coaches that I'm with every day and that's why I love the game so much."
Coming off an All-Pro campaign, Johnson had three years left on his contract for a shade over $47.3 million -- but just $12.25 million was guaranteed in 2023 and $1.25 million guaranteed in 2024. The added year puts Johnson under contract for the next four seasons at $80.75 million with $30 million guaranteed.
Based on the new figures, Johnson vaults back into the top of the RT market after he'd been passed by the likes of Ryan Ramczyk and Brian O'Neill based on per-year averages. Four years at $80.75 million is a shade more than what the Chiefs signed free agent Jawaan Taylor for this offseason (four for $80 million), albeit with Kansas City guaranteeing the former Jags right tackle $40 million and likely moving him to left tackle.
Johnson's deal also lowered his 2023 cap number, which was slated to be $24.2 million. Garafolo added that his new contract reduces that to roughly $14.8 million, so Philly saves about $9.4 million on the cap this year with the extension.
The 32-year-old Johnson remains the premier right tackle in the NFL and one of the best blockers in the league, period. His previous contract had him underpaid in respect to his value (just $500,000 more than Mike McGlinchey signed for in Denver during free agency). The new pact better aligns the contract and the player without killing the Eagles' cap or options down the road.
Johnson is a rock on the Eagles' O-line. A four-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, Johnson hasn't allowed a sack in two seasons, per Pro Football Focus. Ten of his 28 career sacks allowed came in his rookie campaign. Since then, he's given up 18 total in nine years (for comparison: PFF credited 12 sacks to Bengals LT Jonah Williams in 2022 alone). In the past four years combined, Johnson has allowed two total sacks.
On Friday, Philly ensured Johnson will be sticking around for the next several seasons.
While Howie Roseman has lost some starters this offseason, ensuring the critical pieces of Philly's offensive line are back and happy, with new deals for center Jason Kelce and now Johnson, is big for the continuity on offense.
"It's all about reloading, but at the same time, you got to remember what you did last season didn't finish with the end goal like we wanted, but still an amazing season," Johnson said. "Did a lot of things, thought a lot of improvement was made as far as the offensive line and just the offense in general. So ready to reload this season, get new guys in, make them part of the family, and get this thing rolling again."