The Miami Dolphins shuffled the deck at the tight end position days before the start of the regular season.
While the Dolphins did not disclose Gray's injury, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Gray suffered a torn Achilles during Wednesday's practice, via a source informed of the situation.
With Gray officially on the sidelines, backups A.J. Derby and rookie Mike Gesicki are in line for more action.
Here are other injuries we are monitoring:
- Atlanta Falcons safety Keanu Neal left in the third quarter after suffering a knee injury in Thursday's season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. He was ruled out by the team a short time later and did not return. However, coach Dan Quinn said after the game that it, "doesn't appear to be anything serious." Running back Devonta Freemanleft the game in the fourth quarter after suffering a knee injury.
- Jacksonville Jaguars tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (core muscle injury) was limited at practice.
Another situation to monitor for the Jaguars: Cornerback Jalen Ramsey was limited Thursday due to ankle soreness. Any issue for Ramsey could be big in his matchup Sunday against Odell Beckham.
- Cleveland Browns cornerback E.J. Gaines (knee) likely won't play Sunday despite participating in individual drills Thursday, according to head coach Hue Jackson.
- Houston Texans wide receiver Sammie Coates was limited in practice because of a hamstring injury. Linebacker Whitney Mercilus (hamstring) and wide receiver Will Fuller (hamstring) also were limited.
- New England Patriots first-round pickSony Michel was limited with a knee injury. Defensive back Duke Dawson sat out practice with a hamstring injury.
- Cornerback Mackensie Alexander (ankle) returned to practice and was limited after sitting out Wednesday. Offensive tackle Aviante Collins was limited with an elbow injury and cornerback Marcus Sherels was a full participant coming off an ankle injury.
- New York Jets safety Marcus Maye (foot) and wide receiver Jermaine Kearse (abdomen) did not practice on Thursday.
- Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch was limited in practice with a groin injury. Linebacker Tahir Whitehead (ankle) and offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele (back) also were limited.