The Tennessee Titans quarterback suffered a right shoulder injury after being driven into the turf by the Houston Texans star. Mettenberger remained on the field for several minutes before walking slowly to the sideline. He was eventually escorted to the locker room, never returning to the contest.
Mettenberger had released his pass -- a 7-yard completion to Kendall Wright -- before Watt drove the rookie into the turf. Watt was not flagged for the hit, though he certainly could have been.
Watt and Mettenberger have some history. After Mettenberger's first career start last month, Watt criticized the quarterback for his social media presence in the days after being named Tennessee's starter.
"I take this game seriously," Watt said at the time. "If I were a rookie being named a starter for the first time, I'd be a little more focused."
What other game-day injuries are we following?
- Redskins wideout DeSean Jackson was carted off with a fibula contusion and was ruled out after initially being called questionable. He later returned to the sideline.
- Bills defensive end Marcell Dareus went to the locker room with a groin injury and stayed out of the game.
- Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu suffered a cracked thumb, while running back Andre Ellington has a hip pointer and guard Paul Fanaika has a high ankle sprain.
- Steelers defensive lineman Brett Keisel was ruled out with a left triceps injury. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday night that team believes the triceps is torn, which would end his season, per two sources informed of the injury. He'll have an MRI to confirm.
- Browns receiver Miles Austin was taken to the hospital after experiencing abdominal pain, according to WKNR-AM.
- The Titans confirmed to The Tennesseean that receiver Justin Hunter will remain hospitalized overnight after suffering a lacerated spleen.