The fourth-year back -- who suffered a torn ACL in Week 2 last year -- was fully cleared by doctors following a strong week of practice.
Barkley will be eased in and used sparingly. He'll get snaps, but the team won't put him at risk so early.
The 24-year-old Penn State product has scored 23 touchdowns in 31 career games.
Other injury news we are keeping an eye on ahead of Sunday's Week 1 games:
- Green Bay Packers pass rusher Za'Darius Smith, who was listed as questionable with a back injury, will play against the New Orleans Saints, per Rapoport.
- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham, working his way back from a torn ACL, is inactive for Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (illness) and center JC Tretter (knee) should be good to go, per Rapoport.
- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who was listed as questionable with a foot injury, is active for Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, He's expected to play, barring an unexpected setback, per Rapoport. Running back Zack Moss is inactive.
- Promising Chicago Bears wide receiver Darnell Mooney, listed as questionable with a back injury, is expected to play tonight against the Rams in Los Angeles, a source tells Rapoport.
- Denver Broncos linebacker Bradley Chubb (ankle) will be inactive Sunday versus the Giants, NFL Network's James Palmer reported. His ankle isn't 100 percent, per Rapoport.
- Miami Dolphins wide receiver Preston Williams, nursing a foot injury, is listed as questionable and not expected to play against the New England Patriots, per Rapoport. Offensive tackle Austin Jackson (illness), who was listed as questionable, has been removed from the injury report.
- New York Jets wide receiver Keelan Cole, who tweaked his knee in practice this week, is inactive for Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers. He was considered a game-time decision, according to Rapoport. Running backs Josh Adams and La'Mical Perine and linebacker Quincy Williams are also inactive.
- Los Angeles Chargers running back Austin Ekeler (hamstring) impressed at practice on Friday and should be good to go against Washington, a source tells Rapoport. Barring a setback, he'll be on the field despite missing practice Wednesday and Thursday. He is active.
- Jacksonville Jaguars offensive lineman Walker Little and tight end Jacob Hollister are inactive for Sunday versus the Texans.
- Seattle Seahawks defensive end L.J. Collier is inactive for Sunday's game against the Colts.
- San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw, cornerback Josh Norman and running back Trey Sermon are inactive for Week 1 versus the Lions.
- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Feleipe Franks is inactive for Sunday versus the Eagles, meaning Josh Rosen is Matt Ryan's backup.
- Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Gardner Minshew is inactive for Week 1 versus the Falcons.
- Indianapolis Colts guard Quenton Nelson is active for Sunday's game against the Seahawks.
- Los Angeles Chargers running back Austin Ekeler is active for Sunday's game against Washington.