Los Angeles Chargers star quarterback Justin Herbert likely won't have to contend with Pittsburgh Steelers safety Minkah Fitzpatrick roaming the secondary when the teams square off in Los Angeles on Sunday night.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he isn't expecting the standout safety to be available after he was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Monday, per NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala.
The NFL's COVID-19 policy allows vaccinated players who test positive to return after receiving two negative tests at least 24 hours apart, if asymptomatic for a period of 48 hours. It would be the first missed start of the season for Fitzpatrick, who leads the Steelers in tackles with 64. He could be joined on the sideline by Steelers star pass rusher T.J. Watt, who suffered hip and knee injuries against the Lions; Watt's playing status for the Chargers game is uncertain.
The Steelers tied with the winless Detroit Lions on Sunday without starting QB Ben Roethlisberger due to a positive test for COVID-19. Tomlin said he expects Roethlisberger, who experienced symptoms last week, to be "100 percent" involved in game preparations in a virtual setting until he's cleared to return to club facilities, per Kinkhabwala.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Richard Sherman underwent an MRI which shows a Grade 2 calf strain, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports, per a source. Rapoport adds Sherman's injury will take him out a few weeks as Bucs head coach Bruce Arians had said previously.
- The Washington Football Team officially placed defensive end Chase Young (ACL tear) on injured reserve. Ron Rivera announced Monday that Young would miss the rest of the 2021 season. Washington also activated offensive lineman Saahdiq Charles off the team's reserve/COVID-19 list.
- New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley "looked pretty good" upon his return to practice Monday and "the hope is" he will return to action in Week 11 versus Tampa Bay, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday on NFL NOW.
- The Los Angeles Chargers placed pass rusher Joey Bosa and defensive tackle Jerry Tillery on the reserve/COVID list.
- San Francisco 49ers running back Elijah Mitchell sustained a fractured finger in Monday night's win over the Rams. Kyle Shanahan said the team is "pretty optimistic" that Mitchell will be OK but his status for Week 11 is unclear.
- The Miami Dolphins placed offensive tackle Greg Little on injured reserve.
- The Atlanta Falcons placed guard Josh Andrews on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Running back/wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson's status remained unchanged from Monday to Tuesday as he was limited with an ankle injury ahead of Thursday night's game against the New England Patriots. Safety Jaylinn Hawkins was also limited with an ankle injury and tight end Hayden Hurst (ankle) did not practice.
- New England Patriots defensive end Deatrich Wise (illness) was the only player that didn't participate in Tuesday's practice. Running back Damien Harris and wideout Gunner Olszewski, who missed last week's game with concussions, were both limited in practice.
- The New York Jets placed cornerback Brandin Echols on injured reserve. Echols, a rookie sixth-round pick, has started all nine games for the Jets.
- The Green Bay Packers placed linebacker Whitney Mercilus on injured reserve. Mercilus, who signed with the Packers midseason after he was released by the Houston Texans, suffered a torn biceps on Sunday. It was Mercilus' fourth game with Green Bay.
- The Tennessee Titans activated linebacker Derick Roberson from injured reserve.
- The Minnesota Vikings activated center Garrett Bradbury and practice squad tackle Timon Parris from the reserve/COVID-19 list while placing safety Josh Metellus on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Dallas Cowboys activated practice squad wide receiver Osirus Mitchell from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Minnesota Vikings are signing fullback Garrett Groshek to the practice, NFL network's Tom Pelissero reports, per a source. The team has since announced the signing. Pelissero adds Groshek played running back at Wisconsin and was in training camp with the Raiders.
- The Kansas City Chiefs signed quarterback Shane Buechele to the active roster from the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions are signing kicker Riley Patterson off the Patriots practice squad, per Pelissero. Detroit also signed kicker Aldrick Rosas to the practice squad after releasing kicker Ryan Santoso from the practice squad.
- The Buffalo Bills signed defensive tackle Eli Ankou to the practice squad.
- The New York Jets signed tight end Kenny Yeboah and cornerback Rachad Wildgoose to the active roster. The team also signed linebacker Corey Thompson and wide receiver Keelan Doss to the practice squad.
- The Green Bay Packers signed linebackerTipa Galeai from the practice squad to the active roster. The team also signed LB Ladarius Hamilton and running back Kerrith Whyte to the practice squad.
- The Tennessee Titans signed linebacker Dylan Cole to the active roster and signed wideout Cody Hollister to the practice squad.
- The Washington Football Team signed tight end Temarrick Hemingway and defensive tackle Gabe Wright to the practice squad.
- The Carolina Panthers signed defensive tackle Josh Avery to the practice squad.
- The Indianapolis Colts signed cornerback Bopete Keyes to the practice squad.
- The Miami Dolphins signed defensive tackle Andrew Billings to the practice squad.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed tight end Tyler Mabry to the practice squad.
- The Baltimore Ravens have released Le'Veon Bell. The veteran running back will be put on the waiver wire Tuesday with a deadline to be claimed Wednesday. The team also released tackle Jaryd Jones-Smith.
- The Washington Football Team signed defensive lineman Daniel Wise off the practice squad to the active roster. Washington also signed tight end Temarrick Hemingway and defensive tackle Gabe Wright to the practice squad.
- The Carolina Panthers are releasing punter Joseph Charlton, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. The team has since announced the news. Charlton is now healthy following a stint on injured reserve, Pelissero added. The Panthers also released defensive tackle Treyvon Hester from the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions waived wide receiver Geronimo Allison and released kicker Ryan Santoso from the practice squad.
- The Miami Dolphins waived safety Sheldrick Redwine and defensive end Jabaal Sheard.
- The Green Bay Packers released defensive lineman Auzoyah Alufohai from the practice squad.
- The Denver Broncos have released quarterback Danny Etling and guard Shaq Calhoun from the practice squad.
- The Cleveland Browns released wideout Isaiah Zuber.
- The Minnesota Vikings released offensive lineman Cohl Cabral.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars released wide receiver Tyron Johnson and defensive back Michael Jacquet.
- The New Orleans Saints waived defensive end Montravius Adams and running back Lamar Miller.
- The Dallas Cowboys released wideout Damion Ratley.
- The Indianapolis Colts released defensive back Lucas Jordan.
- The Seattle Seahawks released quarterback Jake Luton and defensive end Alex Tchangam.
- The Green Bay Packers worked out veteran running back Kerryon Johnson, per the transaction wire.