Offensive lineman Jalen Mayfield's pursuit of progress and a grip on a starting job with the Atlanta Falcons encountered a detour recently, but he's found his way back to the main route.
After missing two practices with a lower back issue, Mayfield returned to the field on Monday, per ESPN's Michael Rothstein.
Mayfield endured a difficult rookie season in Atlanta but seemed to be in position to stake his claim to the starting left guard job in Year 2. Such a pursuit begins with this camp, where Mayfield appeared to fall behind veteran guard Elijah Wilkinson in the battle for the job before missing time due to the injury.
Now that he's back, the 2021 third-round pick will resume competing for the spot. He has a month to secure it before the regular season begins in Atlanta against the New Orleans Saints.
- C Tyler Linderbaum suffered a Lisfranc sprain and has a hopeful recovery window of 1-2 weeks, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported. Linderbaum, the No. 25 overall pick in April's draft, will undergo further testing.
- RB J.K. Dobbins (knee) was activated off the team's PUP list.
- LB Vince Biegel (Achilles) placed on injured reserve.
- CB C.J. Henderson (ankle) returned to practice Monday.
- DE Marquis Haynes is considered day-to-day after injuring his knee in practice Saturday.
- S Darnell Savage (hamstring) is unlikely to practice at all this week, per head coach Matt LaFleur. Savage injured his hamstring in the team's Family Night practice on Friday. LaFleur indicated on Sunday that it is not considered a long-term injury.
- RB Kyren Williams activated from PUP list.
- WR Warren Jackson activated from PUP list.
- OLB Leonard Floyd did not finish practice Monday, head coach Sean McVay told reporters. McVay said Floyd was dealing with something in his "lower half," and the team wanted to be smart about it.
- QB Jameis Winston appeared to tweak his foot during Monday's practice, per HC Dennis Allen. The injury occurred during 7-on-7 drills, Allen further specified on Inside Training Camp Live that it looked like Winston rolled his ankle during the drill.
- OT Mekhi Becton left practice after suffering a knee injury. HC Robert Saleh told reporters that Becton is undergoing an MRI exam but it appears that Becton's knee is stable. Rapoport and Garafolo reported later Monday evening that after initial evaluations, Becton’s knee injury appears to be more serious than expected. They said the injury is new and unrelated to his previous injury, and that while the tackle will have additional appointments on Tuesday to learn more, there is now concern over the injury.
- OT Conor McDermott is expected to miss a week or two due to an ankle injury, per Saleh.
- WR Diontae Johnson is working through a hip flexor, per head coach Mike Tomlin. Johnson recently signed a two-year extension.
- DE Tyson Alualu was activated off the PUP list.
- Signed TE MyCole Pruitt.
- Signed DB Daryl Worley.
- Signed OL Kendall Lamm.
- Signing OL Cameron Hunt, per Rapoport. Hunt last played in the USFL for the Birmingham Stallions.
- Signed DB Jordan Brown
- Signed LB Chase Hansen
- Waived/injured DB Dylan Mabin
- Signing OT Caleb Benenoch to a one-year deal, NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported Monday, per a source.
- Signed LB Ron'Dell Carter.
- Waived/injured LB T.D Moultry.
- Signed WR Matt Cole.
- QB Jordan Love will start the first preseason game Friday against the San Francisco 49ers, per LaFleur.
- Rookie OL Zein Obeid is retiring, coach Dan Campbell said.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.