Josh Allen won't take part in Buffalo's preseason opener on Saturday.
Bills coach Sean McDermott told reporters Thursday that Allen will be among several starters sitting out on Saturday versus the Colts. McDermott added that decisions on other starters playing will be made on an individual basis.
As usual, not many NFL preseason games will feature star quarterbacks, but there's plenty of position battles to be had for the Bills offense, including veteran QBs Case Keenum and Matt Barkley aiming to become Allen's immediate backup and the team sorting out its deep running back rotation. Ken Dorsey, the Bills' newest offensive coordinator, will also debut as a play-caller following the offseason exit of Brian Daboll.
In injury news for the Bills, McDermott said safety Jordan Poyer (elbow) is "trending in a good direction" while veteran wideout Tavon Austin is set to miss his fourth straight practice on Thursday. McDermott added that Austin's status for Saturday is in limbo. Linebacker Tyrel Dodson (muscle soreness) was ruled out by McDermott for the preseason opener.
The Bills host the Colts on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET, and the game will be broadcast live on NFL Network.
- WR N'Keal Harry is expected to miss around eight weeks after undergoing tightrope surgery on Thursday morning, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported, per a source. Harry suffered a high-ankle sprain on Aug. 7.
- WR David Moore "will be out for a bit" with a lower leg injury, coach Matt Eberflus said Thursday.
- CBs Ronald Darby (chest) and K'Waun Williams (knee) will not participate in Thursday's joint practice with the Cowboys, NFL Network's James Palmer reported.
- RB Melvin Gordon (foot) is not practicing for the second straight day, but the injury isn't considered serious, according to Palmer.
- RB Tyreik McAllister placed on injured reserve.
- OG Shane Lemieux (toe) left the Giants' preseason game in the first quarter and was ruled out for the remainder of the game. Lemieux was later seen in a walking boot.
- OL Jamil Douglas (ankle) has been ruled out of the rest of Thursday's game.
- CB Cordale Flott (groin) has been ruled out of the remainder of Thursday's game.
- WR Kadarius Toney, who's been dealing with an apparent leg injury, did not make the trip for the Giants' preseason game on Thursday night. Head coach Brian Daboll did not go into specifics regarding Toney's injury after the game and only said, "I hope so," when asked if he expected him on the field this coming week.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.