New Orleans Saints quarterback Jameis Winston has a new injury to overcome ahead of the start of the regular season.
Saints head coach Dennis Allen told reporters Tuesday that Winston suffered a right foot sprain during a 7-on-7 portion of Monday's practice and is considered day to day.
While Winston's foot issue does not seem to be nearly as serious as last year's ACL injury that ended his season, any amount of time for him on the sidelines is not ideal for a Saints team looking to return to the playoffs after falling short in 2021.
Allen added that Winston will not play in Saturday's preseason opener against the Houston Texans.
- TE Adam Shaheen, a five-year NFL veteran who's started 25 career games with Dolphins and Bears.
- Round 7, 2023
- Round 6, 2023
- TE Ian Thomas suffered a ribs injury during practice, per HC Matt Rhule.
- WR C.J. Saunders is dealing with a lower body injury.
- WR/KR Jakeem Grant was carted off with an apparent Achilles tear.
- CB Ronald Darby is day to day with a chest contusion, per the team.
- WR Courtland Sutton is dealing with a shoulder issue, per the team.
- CB Rashad Fenton returned to practice Tuesday after starting training camp on the physically unable to perform list.
- QB Matthew Stafford (elbow) participated in 11-on-11 team drills on Tuesday.
- CB Jalen Ramsey (shoulder) participated in 11-on-11 team drills on Tuesday.
- OT Mekhi Becton will likely miss the 2022 regular season after fracturing his kneecap during Monday's practice.
- C Jason Kelce sat out Tuesday's practice with an elbow injury. Kelce is undergoing a "routine" elbow cleanout, per the team.
- LB Jordyn Brooks (hamstring) is participating in walk-throughs, but is not ready for practice yet, per head coach Pete Carroll.
- Signed CB Cortez Davis
- Released CB Nate Brooks
- Waived/injured LB Silas Kelly, via the NFL transaction wire.
- Signed LB Jordan Kunaszyk, via the transaction wire.
- Waived K Jonathan Garibay.
- Signed K Brett Maher.
- Waived/injured WR John Hurst, via the NFL transaction wire.
- Signed QB E.J. Perry.
- Released QB Kyle Sloter.
- Signed OL Cameron Hunt.
- Waived/injured OL Andrew Trainer.
- Waived TE Kyle Markway, via the NFL transaction wire.
- Signed T.J. Carter, via the transaction wire.
- Signed OL Caleb Benenoch.
- Released OL Parker Ferguson.
- Signed OL Chris Glaser.
- Released DE Hamilcar Rashed.
- Signed S Elijah Benton.
- Signed S Adrian Colbert.
- Waived CB Kenneth George.
- Waive/injured S Michael Griffin.
- QB Trace McSorley will start in Arizona's preseason opener against the Cincinnati Bengals on Friday. Kyler Murray and Colt McCoy will not play.
- QB Geno Smith will start Seattle's preseason opener Saturday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, head coach Pete Carroll said Tuesday.
- Hosted a tryout for RB Kalen Ballage, per the transaction wire.
- Hosted tryouts for kickers Ramiz Ahmed, Austin MacGinnis and Aldrick Rosas, per the wire.
- Defensive assistant coach Joe Whitt will miss Saturday's preseason opener against the Broncos due to a private health matter, the team announced. Whitt has been absent from practice, the team said, but he has been participating in meetings.
- Head coach Sean McVay announced in his Tuesday news conference that he signed a contract extension during the offseason. This deal also means an extension for general manager Les Snead can be expected soon.
- Head coach Ron Rivera announced that defensive line coach Sam Mills III had been fired, citing philosophical differences.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.