Last Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Jeremy McNichols to add depth at running back. On Wednesday, they announced that McNichols was done for the season.
The Steelers placed McNichols on injured reserve and signed running back Master Teague to take his place. It's believed that McNichols suffered a shoulder injury. To open up a spot for McNichols on Tuesday, the team had cut RB Trey Edmunds.
Najee Harris remains the workhorse back in Pittsburgh, but his extensive workload as a rookie -- a league-high 381 regular-season touches, plus 14 more in a playoff loss -- was concerning.
The Steelers clearly want a more established backup for Harris, and despite his recent arrival, McNichols appeared very much in the running for that role prior to the injury. He rushed for 360 yards and totaled 295 yards receiving in two seasons with the Titans after being drafted in the fifth round by the Buccaneers in 2017 and also spending time on the rosters of the 49ers, Colts, Titans, Bears, Jaguars and Falcons.
Now Teague might get a shot at the top spot behind Harris. The undrafted back out of Ohio State ran for 1,764 yards and 17 touchdowns and caught 11 passes for 118 yards in three seasons with the Buckeyes, appearing twice in the college playoffs at OSU.
- RB Christian McCaffrey was given a veteran's rest day. Head coach Matt Rhule told reporters the team likely will refrain from having McCaffrey practice in pads for three consecutive days.
- WR Amari Cooper (ankle) is back on the practice field after sitting out on Tuesday.
- WR Quintez Cephus will "be down for ... a short period of time" with a leg injury, coach Dan Campbell said Wednesday. Cephus left Tuesday's practice early with the injury.
- WR Christian Watson (knee) remains sidelined and without a predetermined date for a return, but Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst told reporters Wednesday that he's not overly concerned with the affects of the rookie missing time. While Watson will need to "play catchup," Gutekunst says they won't rush their second-round pick back and cited that strategy as being a long-term play.
- LB Drew White tore his ACL during Tuesday's practice, coach Ron Rivera announced.
- Signed WR Daylen Baldwin
- Signed LB Nate Wieland
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.